Monday 22 July 2024

THE TEMPTATION OF FAILURE (JULIO RAMÓN RIBEYRO) AND LIGHT POLLUTION

 On the terrace of my bedroom, with lights off, in midnight, watching the firmament. Startling spectacle. In the clear sky, millions of stars. Impossible to orient yourself. Sense of vertigo, of dread. Why? An artificial satellite passes.

I´m using this post, in spite of its forced relation with Science, to talk about a diary that I really enjoyed and I like its title too. Someone wrote once that Ribeyro used to tittle his books badly, but I think ´the temptation of failure´is a good tittle and it also works the reverse, I mean, ´the failure of temptation´.

It has to be difficult to see satellites nowadays because of this kind of light pollution which has so many negative effects in some ecosystems, besides the waste of energy. But, of course, artificial lighting has their good points too.

These days I´m watching good films in the summer cinema of the council of Seville, like ´The sun of the future´or ´Saben aquell?´, but if the film wasn´t a good one, I´d be able to look up the screen and see the stars in the sky.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment