Monday 21 March 2022

LITTLE FAITH (NICKOLAS BUTLER) AND THE INACCURAY OF METEOROLOGISTS

 These meteorologists don’t know their asses from a hole in the ground anyway,” Otis said. “I worked in academia over half a century. Meteorologists had to be some of the least respected scientists on campus. At the end of the day, they look at their fancy radars, they punch in their projections on a computer, shake some chicken bones on a table, light a black candle, and say a hundred Hail Marys. Somebody could sneeze in Seattle and disrupt their forecast. This could be a whole lot of nothing. Go home and wish for warm weather


Poor meteorologists! They are not well considered.  This text tries to take off any scientific bass to this part of knowledge. Sometimes, as the referees, meteorologists have been insulted, and their mothers too. It´s difficult to stand that pressure, not everybody is prepared to be a meteorologist. Because not only farmers are attentive to the weather forecast, also the amateur sport men, or the Brotherhoods of Holy Week. Now, with our mobiles, we want the information in real time ( and I wonder if there be a virtual time).  But also people tend to say ´three minutes per clock ´and I guess it´s to distinguish them  from the minutes of a thermometer

I have checked that it always rains less than my mobile says, I think it may be a strategy to keep us happy. Like when my mobile lies to me, with the help of Google maps, about the time that takes me to get to a place by bike, it always takes me more.

My favourite weather man has always been José Antonio Maldonado, who is Sevilla FC supporter and he used to sit next to me in Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán stadium.

2 comments:

  1. It's always good for us tennis players when it rains less than the mobile says it will!

    ReplyDelete