Wednesday 25 January 2017

MY LAST SIGH ( LUIS BUÑUEL) AND THE SCIENTIFIC RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN BUÑUEL AND CAJAL

There was much ado about this in the literary world. We decided to give a banquet to tribute Araquistain so as to collect signatures for supporting him. My ultraist friends were aware that I was acquaintance with Cajal from the Natural History Museum, where I would prepare platelets for his microscope in the Entomology section. So, they asked me to get his signature, which would have been the most prestigious of all. So, I did . But Cajal, very old at that time, refused to sign it. He claimed the excuse that the newspaper ABC, where the Audacious Sir collaborated regularly, was going to publish his own memoirs and he was afraid that by signing that, the newspaper terminated the contract.
Although for different reasons, I do always refuse to sign the requests I am given. The sheets of signatures are nothing but a way to calm down your conscience. I know my attitude is arguable. That is why if something happens to me, if I end up in jail, for example, or I disappear, I beg nobody to sign for me.


It´s not the first time that Cajal has appeared in this blog. In the first one, Cajal was told off by Emilia Pardo Bazán, and that must have been serious business.
I had no idea of this collaboration between Buñuel and Cajal before reading this book and it´s not the only amazing thing I´ve discovered. I´ve also found out that Buñuel was about to kill Gala and also that John Wayne led a supporting association for Franco.
But the most practical information of the text is the one dealing with collecting signatures. I think I´m going to use it the next time a girl from an NGO comes up to me and tells me: do you have a second? I´ll say no moving my finger, while speeding up my pace and saying: “I know my attitude is arguable”

No comments:

Post a Comment