Monday 10 September 2018

GENERATION A (DOUGLAS COUPLAND) AND THE CLARITY WHICH PEOPLE EXPRESS THEIR POSITION ABOUT MATHS

I said to Zack: “So your story was about numbers?”
Yes. And faith and hope, too. Nothing like lots of faith and hope to make a story a timeless classic. Dollops of faith; countless extra servings of hope.”
Brother. So, are you number smart or something?”
Number smart? Actually, I hate the fucking things. But when I look at them, they don’t make noises in my head the way words and letters do. It’s kind of peaceful, actually. In math class I’d just stare at equations and visit my happy place until the bell rang.”
I hated math.”
We all nodded our heads, while Serge shook his in dismay.





People has a very clear position about Math: they like it or hate it. It´s also a very early decision in life, from childhood you have no doubt about it. And it´s a fact without half-measures, very few people say: I don´t mind about Maths, it is not my favourite subject but I don´t hate it.
Something similar happens with the father role in memories or autobiographies: they are excellent persons, even genius, or the are evil people who destroyed the author´s childhood. It´s vey infrecuent to find something like ‘ mi father was a regular man’, or like the Manuel Alcántarás verses:
He was good or bad, the same than anyone…”
I, like Serge in the tex, also shook my head in dismay

No comments:

Post a Comment