Monday 27 August 2018

HOUSE OF MEETINGS (MARTIN AMIS) AND THE KIND OF TRIANGLES

The love story is triangular in shape, and the triangle is not eqilateral. I sometimes like to think that the triangle is isosceles: it certainly comes to a very sharp point. Let´s be honest, though, and admit that the triangle remains brutally scalene. I trust, my dear, that you have a dictionary near by? You never needed much encouragement in your respect for dictionaries. Scalene, from the Greek, skalenos: unequal



Let´s deal with a simple mathematic question: kind of triangles. As a teacher I know you can´t despreciate a theme by taking it for granted. Not only scalene, like Martin Amis writes (I have read only a few books by Amis and I wonder why, because I really liked it) but also equilateral and isosceles have a Greek ethimology. Three or four scientific comparision like this one appear in the novel, all of them with grace and basis

No comments:

Post a Comment